As for news, there is not much. We heard Thursday that the Attorney General of ES has contacted the other family and made them aware of the situation and that “there is some hope for our family.” We honestly thought that we might have some good news by the end of the week, but we never heard anything else. I had an extremely hard time at 5:00 on Friday, knowing that another week has passed and this is still not resolved. We have been dealing with this for five weeks and two days now, but who’s counting? After several hours of being miserable I finally realized that I had taken my eyes off the Lord and put my hope in an expected outcome. It took me some time with Misty Edwards Unplugged to get back on the right track:
“Calm down my soul; calm down and know – His yoke is easy – His burden is light. It simply costs everything, but it’s not too mysterious…No one who waits upon the Lord will ever be ashamed. For wisdom will be justified….it’s just a matter of time and You will make all things beautiful…just in time. It’s just a matter of time…calm down my soul. Be quiet within me and put your trust in God – from where your help comes from. It’s just a matter of time.”
I’m struggling, but I am better today. If you would, please pray for our anxious hearts.
Also, we are awaiting news from some dear Christians who were going to visit AJ’s birth mom in the hospital this week. We are anxious to hear how she is doing. Please keep praying for her – I can’t stress this one request enough.
I keep going back to the Exodus. I can’t explain it, other than that is where God keeps taking us for insight into what He is doing right now. One thing I saw this morning was where when the Israelites where leaving Egypt, it appears that others went with them.
“The Israelites journeyed from Rameses to Succoth. There were about six hundred thousand men on foot besides women and children. Many other people went up with them, as well as large droves of livestock, both flocks and herds.” (Ex. 12:37-38)
After researching this phrase, “many other people”, I found that this referred to a people of foreign descent. I believe there were some Egyptians that left with the Israelites. I’m definitely NO Bible scholar, but that’s what it looks like to me. Hmm. In our prayers to deliver children trapped in this ungodly system in ES, we can only pray that there will be people of ES who will “go with us” in this. In fact, we have already begun to see that a little bit. Lord, would you change the hearts of men and women who hold the power over these children? Would you allow them to watch your hand at work in AJ’s life and see your power and decide to follow you and your ways for Your children!!
As I kept reading, I was struck by this verse:
When Pharoah let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though it was shorter. (Ex. 13: 17)
This got my curiosity. Why wouldn’t God just get them out of there the fastest way possible? One reason given in verse 18 was that there was the possibility for war going the short way and God thought the Israelites would possibly turn back. But isn’t that what happened anyways?? I was curious enough about this that I looked up a map of the Exodus. Like I said, I’m definitely no Bible scholar, and Biblical geography is not even on my radar!!! I was stunned to see that it wasn’t even necessary for the Israelites to cross the Red Sea!! They could have left Egypt and gone straight across the desert into Canaan! Maybe I’m the only one who has never realized this before, but I am just so amazed by this!!!
Instead of taking them straight across the desert, God revealed another way to Moses:
“Tell the Israelites to turn back and encamp near Pi Hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea. They are to encamp by the sea, directly opposite Baal Zephon. Pharoah will think, ‘The Israelites are wandering around the land in confusion, hemmed in by the desert.’ And I will harden Pahroah’s heart, and he will pursue them. But I will gain glory for myself through Pharoah and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord.” So the Israelites did this. (Ex. 14: 1-4)
God was taking them the longer way for His greater glory! And so they did it. They did it His way for the purpose of God's greater glory.
I can identify. This whole adoption process has definitely taken us the longer way. It’s hard to understand sometimes why in the world we could not have just been assigned the child he told us to adopt, and to get her home so that we could do the next thing He is calling us to. We’ve spent 2 ½ years wondering about this. But today, I think I have just a hint about the answer to those questions.
During our other daughter’s adoption, we also struggled tremendously. We had to have experienced every possible delay that can exist. It was such a struggle during that time for us to watch other people bring home their kids in record time, while we waited and waited. During that time, God taught me so much. Two things stand out to me now though that I took from that whole experience. One, that God is good, no matter what. I learned to say, “I don’t understand, but I trust You,” and that literally became my mantra.
The other thing that God showed me during that first adoption is that other people’s paths can not and will not lead me to the desires of my heart. This path I’m on, no matter how difficult, is the only path that will lead me to the desires of my heart. Certainly, that is where we want to end up, isn’t it? I for sure don’t want to end up at a destination that reflects the desires of someone else's heart, and not my own.
God has placed in mine and Doug’s hearts a passion to see justice for the oppressed, and it has been our cry for years now to be privileged enough to walk with Him in that pursuit. Today, as I sit here, I have to remember that I am on this path because this is the path that God will use to lead us to the desires of our hearts. He knows what those are even better than we do.
God took Moses and the Israelites by the long way for His greater glory. If he hadn’t taken them that way, there would not have even been a need for Him to part the Red Sea. In fact, it looks to me on the map like they could have gone just a little further north, and not have had to cross that sea at all!!! (Check out this map: http://www.bible.ca/maps/maps-the-exodus.jpg) But look at what power was displayed resulting in the Egyptians knowing God and the building of the Israelites' faith for their journey ahead! I think we can all find peace in knowing that whatever path we follow Him on, it is the path of His greatest glory. If He is taking us the long way for His greater glory, then so be it.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment